Local Opportunities for Advanced Learners...
Coming in FALL: Wisconsin Science Festival
September 26-29 from 9am-2pm in Madison.
Free! All ages welcome.
Hands on demos, innovative exhibits, performances, work with scientists. & more!
Portage Center for the Arts - firstname.lastname@example.org
- "Honk Jr." is this falls production.
- Poets - The artwork for Art that Blooms 2013 has been selected and now it’s your turn to get those creative juices flowing! Come in and select one of the art pieces and write a poem inspired by that piece for the Art that Blooms exhibit which will be held on June 7 & 8, 2013. Your poem needs to be submitted to the Center by May 1, 2013.
- Real Life Super Heroes – you must know some!!! Get your camera out and take a photo OR write a poem in honor of your favorite Super Hero and enter it in the Photos & Poetry in the Foyer Competition. Entries are due in the PCA office by March 1. Complete submission details are on our website.
- Playwrights - The competition for the Zona Gale Young People’s Theatre 2013 Children’s Theatre Workshop continues with a deadline of March 1. Visit our website for complete details.
Elementary Summer Academy at UW - Baraboo
- Opportunities to challenge and excite students who love to learn.
- For students who have completed grades 1-5.
- Sessions include: space, readers clubs, dinosaurs, Spanish, French, numbers, nature, brain games, rocketry, writing, ancient Egypt, and flutes!
- $84 for the full week
- July 22-26, 2013
- Call 608-355-5220
Elementary Art Extravaganza
- A full week of exploring various art forms in the summer.
- July 29- Aug 2 or Aug 5-Aug 9, 2013
- Showcase at the end of the week for families
- $125 includes registration and art supplies.
- UW Baraboo
- Register online at Continuing Ed or call 355-5220
- An all day camp held for one week in the summer at Poynette Elementary School
- June 17-21
- For students interested in science, math, technology, and engineering.
- Grades 1-6
- Contact Mkenn@poynette.k12.wi.us 608-635-4347
- Register early for discounts
Amazing Robotics Challenge
- Build a robot that will compete against other robots. Program it using the computer.
- June 24-26, 2013. 10am-4pm
- UW - Baraboo Campus
- Grades 4-8
- Fee $99
- Register online at http://www.baraboo.uwc.edu or call 608-355-5220
Family Fun Phy Ed Nights at Boo U
- Dodgeball, parachute games, mission impossible, obstacle courses
- July 9 - August 1, 2013
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 6:30-7:30
- In the UW-Baraboo Gymnasium or outside as weather allows.
- Family fee $40
- Contact Cindy or Angie. 355-5220.
Middle School Art Academy
- Location: UW- Baraboo
- July 29-Aug 2, 2013
- 1 pm - 4 pm
- Courses: songwriting, beatbox, glee club, photography, puppets, 2D art, illuminated paintings, tie dye, and printmaking.
- Register by June 3rd at http://www.baraboo.uwc.edu or 355-5290
- Fee $125
Middle School University
- For highly academic and motivated students
- Play production, mathematics, chemistry, historical treasure hunt, presidential elections, archaeology, and Modern tales of horror.
- Grades 5-8
- August 5-9, 2013
- Take a morning or afternoon class - or both
- Fee per class $89
Youth and Family Programs at the Portage Public Library
- Includes Preschool story time, Movies in the Morning, Book Bunch, and Family Fun Events
- To register, contact Dawn Foster 742-4959 or email@example.com
Central Wisconsin Environmental Station - CWES
- Summer camps: Ourdoor Skills, Earth Explorers, High Ropes, Teen Wilderness Skills, Trekkers Camp.
- Adventure trips: Rock island, Earth and Sky, Namekagon River Trip, Backpacking with a Splash.
- Day camps: Habitat Hotspots, Art in Nature, Garden Harvesters, Summer Camp Sampler - MAY 3, 2013
- Ages 7 -18
- Located on Sunset Lake near UW-Stevens Point.
- Tree climbing, canoeing, swimming, shelter building, GPS use, archery and much more!
- Activities around Madison: UW Space Place, Children's Museum, Institute for Discovery, Arboretum, etc.
- New schedule each month.
- April topics include: frogs, compost, engineering, wildflowers, veterinary medicine, robotics, and farm animal rescue.
- Most classes are free
- More information at http://www.science.wisc.edu or 316-4662
Wednesday Nite @ the Lab
- Biotechnology Center at UW-Madison OR
- A live web feed: http://www.biotech.wisc.edu/webcams/
- Upcoming topics: Agriculture and Life Sciences, Aquatic Science around WI, Grow
- Free to the public
- For more information http://www.uwalumni.com/wednitelab
Saturday Enrichment Program
- For students currently in grades 5-8.
- January 26, February 2, 9, 16, 2013
- MANY classes to choose from that focus on science, technology, engineering, and math. (They look incredible!)
- Cost $295
- Registration & information: eop.education.wisc.edu
Space, Science and Rockets!
- A multitude of leveled activities for students.
- Graces 3-8 can participate.
- Summer classes
- 3 hours a day, Monday through Friday
- Held at UW-Fox Valley's Barlow Planetarium
- Young writers and artists use the Milwaukee Art Museum as inspiration for nonfiction writing or artwork.
- Two day summer conference.
- Grades 5–12
Madison Children's Museum Summer Day Camp
- A variety of topics are presented such as song writing, history, food, and drama.
- For students completing grades 1-3
- Learn about the dates and other information on their website.
University of WI - LaCrosse summer programs
- Archaeology Workshops
- Eco Explorers Day Camp
- Environmental Explorers Program
- Dates yet to be announced. Check their website.
Central Wisconsin Area Community Theater
- Produces three plays each year.
- Can be an actor/actress, help behind the scenes, or be a member of the audience.
- Takes place in Stevens Point at the Sentry Theater.
- Auditions held periodically.
- CESA 5 is hosting an online bookchat at Edmodo.com
- New book discussions each month
- Books titles listed on the Reading Rocks under this websites Events page.
- If your child is interested in participating, contact Holly Kobza at firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Novel Writing Month - Every November
- Students choose a topic and write to reach a goal
- For more information visit their website
Aber Suzuki Center at UW-SP
- Music camp for strings and piano.
- Any age, including adults.
- Week long sessions at the American Suzuki Institute in Stevens Point
Lawrence Academy of Music Camp
- Lawrence University in Appleton has two week long camps.
- Chamber Music Odyssey is a day camp for motivated string and piano students ages 11-18.
- Piano Odyssey day camp is for the motivated student of the piano, ages 8-16, looking to explore this fantastic instrument in greater depth.
Wisconsin Youth Symphony Orchestra
- WYSO meets on Saturday mornings throughout the school year and perform 3-4 concerts each year.
- Includes three full orchestras and a string orchestra, a chamber music program, a harp program, a percussion ensemble, and a brass choir program.
- The group tours throughout the US and internationally.
Madison Children's Choir
- Students learn vocal technique, music theory, ensemble skills, and how to listen to, understand, and perform music.
- A class is open to students ages 7-10+. Children ages 11-18 may audition directly into a choir.
- Cost of $175 for a 10 week session of classes.
- Rehearsals are 1 hour on Tuesday or Sunday evenings between 4 & 7:15 or Saturdays 10-11am.
Zona Gale Young People's Theatre
At the Portage Center for the Arts
Children's Theater Workshop
Children's Theater Workshop
- A workshop to introduce children ages 8-13 to theater.
- Summer program for 3 weeks starting after 4th of July weekend.
- Children are matched with a director and participate in exercises to learn basic acting skills.
- For children ages 10-18
- One week of classes guided by a Shakespearean play
- Age groups rotate through classes that also include movement, Butoh, and music theater
- Elective classes available that include set design, audition techniques, improvisation, and stage management.
- One or two full scale productions are completed targeting 1-6th grades and 7-12th grades.
- Portage Center for the Arts website has audition information. You can be placed on their mailing list.
Milwaukee Art Museum Summer Camps
Young Student Summer Program
- Early camp experience, intellectual challenge, single subject focus, exposure to new disciplines, and lasting friendships.
- Held at Beloit College
- For grades 4-6
Wisconsin Summer Camps and Youth Programs
Links to summer opportunities all over Wisconsin for the summer!
Columbia County 4H
- For girls ages 5-17
- Gives girls "a chance to develop their potential, make friends, and become a vital part of their community."
- Day camps, specialty camps, exploration events, special events, travel, online community.
- Learn more by requesting information from their website. There is also a webinar on YouTube
- Portage is in Membership Area 24 which includes Pardeeville, Poynette, Lodi and Rio.
Wisconsin Troopers Association Essay contest...
- Opportunity to express creativity in a statewide contest for grades K-12
- This year's theme:
- Awards include $$
- More information on their website
- An 9 hour environmental "camp" for students this winter in Cable, Wisconsin.
- Play outdoor games, learn more about nature, make crafts, and visit a museum.
- For grades K-6.
- Saturday, February 23, 2013
- Part of the Birkebeiner Ski Foundation.
Very Young Composer's Project
- More on the UWSP continuing education website
- 4th & 5th grade students create original music that will be performed musicians from the University.